Friday, April 30, 2021

Book: Studying Her Vikings by Skye MacKinnon (Norsemen Academy #1)


Studying Her Vikings by Skye MacKinnon is an interesting take on time travel. The book revolves around Lainie, a girl who gave up everything to go to an academy to learn how to travel through time, Time Travel Academy, or TTA as it is referenced in the book. 

Now, this book is actually really short, it is only about 50 pages or so. It is broken up into five novellas, in a serial format, that has actually been bound up into one book! I just found that out after I had read this first part, which covers the first five chapters or so of the novel. This was a freebie from the Kindle store so I decided to try it out.

(SPOILER WARNING! START) 

Lainie is taken away from her mother to go to TTA, Time Travel Academy, where she meets these two girls, Maryam and Kaycee, who are in the fast track courses with her, due to the fact that they didn't throw up when they were first ported to the academy. Kaycee and Lainie end up sharing a dorm together while Maryam gets a single room, trying to get them out of their comfort zones. Sue, their mentor, shows them around a little bit until dinner time, where Lainie meets Hjalmar, who is a professor for the fast track students.

They spend dinner together and then it's off to bed. The next morning, Lainie goes to breakfast and is approached by Maryam and two other girls who warn them about Hjalmar being a murderer and that he was suspended last year. Soon enough, they are all off to their classes, all the Hummingbirds, the first years, go to a classroom and are introduced to the headmistress who goes over all the rules for the academy. Break one of these rules however and you're out.

Then they are actually off to classes, the fast track course's first class is with Hjalmar, who will be teaching them all about Vikings, Old Norse, and Futhark. Lainie is already having the hots for teacher and cannot help herself but to check him out! Anyways, afterwards Lainie is studying the map of the academy, having thought it was off before, and then having the realization that they are underground with no windows or doors! This causes Lainie to start having a panic attack due to her claustrophobia...

(SPOILER WARNING! END)

I don't really have too much of an opinion about this series yet due to the fact that I just don't have enough to go off on just yet. I will hopefully be getting the full novel, Taking Her Viking, so that I can read the full story and do a more legitimate review then. Other than that though, from what the beginning is giving me, I would recommend you to check this out. It's worth at least a look-see. And with the first five chapters just being zero dollars, I definitely do implore you to maybe download it and check it out. But I don't have a strong final stance on this just yet but I will after reading the full novel! 

Thanks for reading you guys and I hope you will be back to read my update on this serial/novel when I am able to get my hands on it! Please stay safe and have a wonderful day or evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment