Friday, April 2, 2021

Book: His First Time: Nick by Ann Omasta & Callie Love


His First Time: Nick by Ann Omasta and Callie Love is a Christmas themed romance! It is a very short novella that is part of a series, although it can be read alone. It is not required to read the rest of the series to understand the events that happen within this installment, but some characters from the others books do appear and vice versa. 

Now, I read this book around Christmas time, I really wanted to try to get into a Christmas-y mood since 2020 hasn't been the greatest. Unfortunately, we, in the Northeast, did not get much snow this year which really sucks! So, I went on the Kindle store to see if I could find any freebie Christmas themed books to get me into the holiday spirit and lo and behold I found this short novella! 

Nick Wallace is a man who didn't really see himself dressing up as good ol' Saint Nick for some kids... until it happens. One woman, Kelsey, and her son, Tyson, kind of change his outlook that maybe this job isn't half bad. 

(SPOILER WARNING! START)

So, Nick gets roped into dressing up as Father Christmas for a charity event by a friend of his, who even ropes him into adopting a dog that same night. He meets this kid, Tyson, with a gorgeous mom, Kelsey. Tyson asks him something very personal for Christmas this year and Nick doesn't want to make false promises to him due to the severity of the request. Soon enough, Kelsey and Tyson leave, but are stuck due to a flat tire. Nick comes out and and helps them, then invites himself over for pizza, which Tyson is all for it. Kelsey, not wanting to let Ty down, agrees. 

Nick comes over with the pizza, the three of them watch a movie together until Ty falls asleep. Kelsey says that it would be best if Nick left, but her actions don't match up with her words. The tension that had been in the air since they had laid eyes on each other finally comes to a point...

(SPOILER WARNING! START)

I'm stopping right there because at this point, things become a little ridiculous in my book. Nick becomes really invested in Kelsey and Ty, wanting to become a permanent fixture in their lives despite only knowing them for a few hours! I know that this is a guaranteed HEA, happily ever after, but this is way too fast paced for my liking. I, personally, like a little bit of a slow burn in the romance department. Not a man suddenly wanting to insert himself into the lives of a woman and her family after only having met her a few hours prior! But obviously, due to this being an HEA, they do end up together. 

Truthfully, I am not too happy about this novella. Yeah, it's only about 50 pages, but it could've been written so much better than it was. I've read fanfictions with better explicit scenes than what this book gave me. Honestly, this was rather disappointing. I say, if you want a fast paced romance that'll end in 50 pages, go for it, but otherwise just stay clear of this, even if it is free. There wasn't even enough Christmas in this book to put me in the holiday spirit, which is what I really wanted from this book. It is a sad quickie with really no Christmas cheer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment